Preserving the Past, Informing the Future
|Skip Navigation Links|
Michael John Flanagan was born in Bridgeport on November 5th, 1873, and lived there continuously until his death on February 22d, 1936. He was the son of Christopher and Ann (Rogerson) Flanagan, both of whom were born in Ireland. He received his early education in the public and St. Mary's Parochial School in Bridgeport, later in the Bridgeport High School.
In 1896 he entered Yale Law School, graduating therefrom in 1899, and was admitted to the bar of the State of Connecticut in that year. Early in his professional career he became interested in real-estate law, and devoted his time almost exclusively to title searching, in which work he became the outstanding member of the bar of this city, his service being continually sought, not only by individuals but by business corporations and banks. The accuracy and application which he gave to his work in this field was characteristic of his work in all other fields in which he engaged.
In 1900 he was elected an alderman and served with credit and distinction. For four years he was clerk of the board of appraisal, and his knowledge of real-estate law was invaluable to that body. In 1900 he was appointed assistant clerk of the Superior Court for Fairfield County, became clerk of that court in 1925, and it was in this position that he displayed those qualities of mind and heart which endeared him to all with whom he came in contact. His administration of that office was characterized by a broad and comprehensive knowledge of procedure, which was always at the disposal of these who sought his advice and counsel.
He was quiet and modest, but performed all the duties which he was called upon to perform with care and accuracy, and was ever ready to sacrifice his own personal interests to any cause which helped others. He was a serious student of the works of Shakespeare, and could quote at length from his works. He had a legal mind in the truest sense of that term. He could understand and appreciate the nicest distinctions involved in a legal proposition, and was responsible for the institution and development of many innovations in the office over which he presided.
He was married to Mary A. Ginty, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Ginty of Danbury, who survives him. He was a communicant of St. Augustine's Catholic Church of Bridgeport.