Preserving the Past, Informing the Future
|Skip Navigation Links|
Benjamin M. Leipner, senior resident judge of the Superior Court in Fairfield County, died in the Bridgeport Hospital on March 20, 1967, at age sixty-three. Judge Leipner, born in New York City in June 22, 1903, the son of Samuel and Annie Leipner, came to Bridgeport with his family when he was five years old. He attended the old Shelton Grammar School in the north end of the city. He was graduated from Bridgeport High School in 1921, and he received his law degree in 1925 from New York University School of Law.
On January 19, 1926, Judge Leipner was admitted to the bar in Connecticut, and he became associated with Paul Gordon in the practice of law in the Newfield Building, in Bridgeport. He practiced law for some twenty-nine years before accepting a nomination from Governor Abraham A. Ribicoff to the Court of Common Pleas on March 1, 1955. On April 24, 1961, Governor John H. Dempsey nominated Judge Leipner for a term in the Superior Court to succeed Judge J. Howard Roberts, who was to retire on November 23, 1961.
On December 25, 1927, Judge Leipner married Jennie Grann, who passed away on November 15, 1960. They had two daughters, Mrs. Harriet L. Sherman, of Bridgeport, and Mrs. Marilyn L. Breslow, of Storrs. On July 29, 1962, Judge Leipner married Edith Nussenbaum, who survives him. He also is survived by a brother, Joseph Leipner, of New Haven, two sisters, Mrs. Augusta Mendelson, of Bridgeport, and Mrs. Helen Rothblat, of Willimantic, and six grandchildren.
Ben, as his host of intimates in every station of life knew him, was a happy, kindly man with many, many friends. He served as clerk of the City Court of Bridgeport from 1933 to 1935 and from 1937 to 1941. In 1936, he was elected as a representative from Bridgeport to the 1937 session of the General Assembly. Thereafter, in 1944, 1946, 1948 and 1950, he was elected to the Senate, and in the 1951 session, he served as majority leader. Meanwhile, he was a member of the board of education of the city of Bridgeport from 1943 to 1948. In 1949, he was nominated by Governor Chester Bowles as a judge of the city court of Bridgeport for the term ending in 1951.
Locally, Judge Leipner was very active in fraternal and civic affairs. He participated in Red Cross and Community Chest fund drives, and in 1955 he was chairman of the March of Dimes. Deeply religious, Judge Leipner was a former president of the Park Avenue Temple, in Bridgeport, and at the time of his death he was on its board of trustees. He was also a member of Temple Lodge 127, A.F. & A.M., and the Algonquin Club.
How ineffectual are words to describe our late counselor, confidant, and dear friend. As a lawyer and political associate, he was conscientious in his work and considerate of others. As a judge of the Superior Court, he was diligent, courteous, markedly competent, and esteemed by the bar and the litigant. As a husband and a father, he was loving and intimately close to his family always.
All of us, all of his friends and acquaintances, remember Benjamin M. Leipner with deep affection, and we share his family's sorrow.