Preserving the Past, Informing the Future
|Skip Navigation Links|
HENRY EDWARDS PARDEE died at his residence in New Haven, January 4th, 1889. He was born in Trumbull, Fairfield County, Conn., August 11th, 1831. He attended the public schools in his native town until about fourteen years of age, when he went to New Haven for the purpose of obtaining better educational facilities than Trumbull then afforded. From this time he supported himself by his own efforts, living for some years in the family of the late Judge Simeon Baldwin. His preparation for college was had at the Lancasterian School and Gen. Russell's Collegiate and Commercial Institute. His studies were not uninterrupted. He taught in the district schools of his native town during portions of two years, and in 1850 entered the Lancasterian School as assistant to John E. Lovell, where he remained until 1852, when he entered Yale College. He was graduated in 1856, and was elected secretary of his class, which position he held at the time of his decease. After graduation he taught for three years in the Collegiate and Commercial Institute, devoting a portion of his time to the study of the law in the Yale Law School and in the offices of Hon. Henry B. Harrison and the Hon. Edward I. Sanford. He was admitted to the bar March 8th, 1860.
From his first coming to New Haven until his admission to the bar his life was one of strenuous work. By teaching and other service he obtained the means for his college education, and prepared himself for his career at the bar. His ability, habits of industry and high character brought him friends, and he soon obtained a good measure of professional success.
He took an active interest in public affairs, and from 1861 to 1863 was a member of the Court of Common Council of the city. He was elected prosecuting grand-juror of the town in 1863 and 1864, and from 1863 to 1866 was clerk of the City Court, and for five years was a member of the Board of Compensation. He held the office of City Attorney from June, 1869 to June, 1871. In the latter year he was elected judge of the Court of Common Pleas of New Haven County, which office he held until September, 1873. He was judge of the City Court of New Haven from 1879 to 1881.
About this time his health became impaired, and he rarely thereafter appeared in the courts, although he kept up his office practice. For some time he suffered acutely from heart disease, but continued to visit his office until a few days before his death.
In 1884 he was married to Fannie B., daughter of Dr. Bassett of Birmingham, who survives him.
His pastor, Rev. Dr. Munger, said of him in a discourse: "His career was such an one as comes from good natural abilities, good education, good character, an unusual degree of good common sense, a passionate sense of justice, great kindness and a disposition to serve, a special degree of trustworthiness, and an indefatigable spirit of work."